Monday, October 18, 2010

Reminiscence

Some night in early 2009, a soft snow fell across diffused cones from yellow streetlights, and I put off writing an essay to go to an album release show. It had only been a few weeks since the more humble release of my own EP, and that was on my mind as I stepped heavily out of the white and into the old brick entryway of the Post Theater. A Logan musician I'd never heard of named E. Stohl Chipman was the man of the hour, but I was there because my good friend Julia Mecham was one of the opening acts. The other opener, Asher in the Rye, caught my attention not so much for the vocalist and songwriter, but for her one-man backup band, a skinny dude impressively playing percussion, bells, keyboard, banjo, and singing harmony, often simultaneously. He left the show early, but I found out a few things about him: he was learning the entire Amelie soundtrack (Composer: french genius Yann Teirsen) on the accordion, his name was Beaux, and he had become a new musical hero of mine.

As 2010 wears on - at the moment getting fitted for its own Salt Lake City winter - I'm playing in a band called Matteo with three wonderful musicians who I am proud to call my friends as well as my musical collaborators, including lead singer Eric Chipman. I myself am the skinny dude playing one-man backup band (albeit less impressively) for Julia Mecham, who is without a doubt my favorite musician in Utah. This past week, I became a member of a band called St. Boheme, playing french cafe music on accordions and banjos and vibraphones with Beaux Underwood. And in December, my new record will come out, and I will have a release show, and I hope you'll put off writing your essay to come see it. I can't promise it'll subtly present you with the genetic sequence that spells out your musical projects for the next two years. But it might be snowing, even softly, and I will give you a close hug.

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful news. Can't wait until December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good fortune to the justly deserving, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *blush*...nicest thing you could say...I'm glad EHP moved to NYC and let's hope no one else ever moves to UT. but don't sell yourself short. credit is due and it's coming for you in the form of musical projects! all that time locked up in a studio apartment without tv or Internet has turned you into a prolific musician. the admiration is flattering and unabashedly mutual. couldn't be happier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to what Noelle and Julia said! I always look forward to the words and music that coalesce from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete